GeekTech

Monday, August 6, 2007

Another Convert

It is now official... I am a user of Ubuntu. For those of you who don't know, Ubuntu is a distro - or a distribution - of Linux. So yes, I am a Linux man now. I like it alot better than windows. It is more reliable and stable for the most part. You don't get those stupid errors when something goes wrong. The only problems I have/had include the following:
1. Some programs will stop responding after they start up. This is usually when you do something to aggravate it.
2. Installations are confusing as trying to do a Beijing Times crossword puzzle.
I still cannot figure out how to install anything. The problem is that Linux does not have executable installation files. Everything is done by commands in the terminal. So it is very confusing when trying to run a setup. (I'm going to make a point about this later).
3. Sometimes the system lags - it doesn't freeze, it just lags considerably. I don't know why this is. I just think that my old hard drive is being stupid.
4. I cannot write files to my other hard drive. To install Linux, I used a separate hard drive (slave 0) to keep from screwing up windows in case I really need it for something (like video editing and etc.). Linux says that I do not have the rights to save data on the windows hard drive. There is some sort of script that will give you the permissions but I'll have to ask my friend what it's called.
5. Linux does not support my audio card... I do have integrated that works perfectly but I also have a professional audio card from E-MU that will not work.

Things I do like about the new OS:
1. The UI. Here's what I was talking about back in number two. The common misconception is that Linux is only a command prompt. WRONG! There is a whole User Interface that comes with each distro. Ubuntu has one that is like windows but definitely different at the same time. It has two "task bars". The one on the bottom contains all the open panes (just like the windows task bar). The bar at the top (the panel) contains your Applications, Places, and System menus as well as you quick launch panel, running processes, and your date and time. Here's a screen shot: You should be able to click to enlarge.

2. Linux is so much faster than windows. It boots in no time at all
3. Linux is simpler. Simple as that
4. Linux can do just about everything windows can and it can even open all windows files and modify them plus even more file formats!
5.Linux leaves no hastle behind. You know in windows where it slows down and you can't figure out why, so you defrag and do a disk cleanup and sweep your registry and dump your temp files and check you cookies and all that junk? With Linux, you don't have to do any of that stuff. There's no headache whatsoever!!!
6. It has cooler applications than windows does. The add/remove programs assistant (not wizard) actually display hundreds of available applications. Select the ones you want and click apply. It then downloads them from the internet for you and installs.
7. Most things like configurations and the tough stuff is automatically done for you.
8. Everything is absolutely FREE!!!!! The copyright falls under GNU GPL meaning it is free for you to use, modify, tweak, copy, give away, redistribute, or sell. Some applications for Ubuntu are only free if you use it for personal use. These programs usually alert you if it is the case. All software is Open Source allowing you to download the code and modify as you please. Nice huh?

Labels: ,

posted by Brice Helman at 5:31 PM

4 Comments:

I can't figure out how to install anything either. But the possibilities are pretty much endless if you do. You can even download nes, snes, and playstation emulators from Ubuntu. Other than that I love it just as much.

Monday, August 06, 2007 9:13:00 PM  

nice, i'm still with windows, but i've heard good things about lineux. I think i'll keep with xp, because i don't really need to hastle with it at this point, its finally working properly

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 11:19:00 PM  

Storm can't even spell it. I've been getting used to fedora myself. It's nice to learn something new. We have Redhat at my parish for the server, so i've got some experience there. It's like learning a new language.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:24:00 PM  

I enjoy my Fedora 7. Definitely takes a little bit of reading the forgotten manual, but very powerful and very much fun to play with.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home